Why Can’t We Be Friends?

Tell me if this situation sounds familiar to you:

You have a young child. Your young child goes to school. Both you and your young child are anxious to find friends at this school. You, as the parent, fantasize about meeting a fantastic group of parents that you can have happy hours, family BBQs and long playdates at the park with. All the while, your little children become best friends forever and you all live happily ever after.

Instead, this happens:

Your young child makes friends. You make friends. Unfortunately, your new friends are not the parents of your child’s new friends. As a matter of fact, the parents of your child’s friends refuse to even give you the time of day. In hopes of making your perfect dream a reality, you and your newfound friends still have these happy hours and park playdates assuming your children will just magically get along.

Ok, so you love your new friends a lot. But your sweet young kids? Do not enjoy spending time with one another. What on earth do you do now?

Well, your immediate reaction might be to spend even more time together forcing your kids to play nice. While this might work, I’m going to take a wild stab in the dark and say they will try to stab each other with lightsabers.

After going through the whole friendship with your kid’s friends parents for a few years now myself, I’d like to suggest that you reach out to the parents of the kids your child is drawn to. Who knows, maybe you do have more in common than you think. A cup of coffee and some friendly conversation is going to make your sweet, young child beyond happy and will give you great insight into your kid’s new BFF.

Besides, the group you were originally drawn to? Now holds a special place in your heart. That special place is called Girl’s Night Out. Without kids and with lots of booze.

8 Responses to Why Can’t We Be Friends?
  1. Nancy aka BLissed-Out Grandma
    February 18, 2013 | 11:22 am

I’ve seen that happen with my daughter and her kids when the kids were both still in preschool. It will be interesting to see what develops now that one is in kindergarten and one will be there next year. A twist: as grandparents delivering kids to preschool and kindergarten, we too develop relationships with other parents and grandparents. Too busy to become besties, though.

2. NotJustAnotherJen
    February 18, 2013 | 1:07 pm

Or Bunco. :)

3. Karlean
    February 18, 2013 | 3:30 pm

The mothers in my school district are such self-involved, vapid sea hags that I much prefer to drink large quantities of good wine and make fun of them behind their backs. You are clearly taking the high road, which is impressive.

4. MiMi
    February 18, 2013 | 4:47 pm

Meh. I’m a shit. I don’t reach out. They come to me or I’m out.
    :D

5. Stephanie @ The Blue Zoo
    February 18, 2013 | 11:04 pm

Yea… I dont have any desire to be friends with my childrens friends parents. That might encourage them to come over.

Im good with being a loner. lol

6. gflo2012
    February 20, 2013 | 8:34 pm

Thank god for the MNO and bunco. The kids’ friends/friends’ kids shit is exhausting.

7. enjoying coffe
    February 26, 2013 | 3:21 am

Greate article. Keep posting such kind of information on your page.
    Im really impressed by it.
    Hello there, You have performed a fantastic job.
    I will certainly digg it and in my opinion recommend to my friends.
    I am sure they will be benefited from this site.

8. Karena
    February 28, 2013 | 4:37 pm

My problem is, most of the kids that Tyler is drawn to are assholes. Children I don’t like at all. There are two. One who’s parents I like, one who’s parents are really REALLY odd. How do you handle THAT? Can I tell the nice parents that I think their kid’s an asshole?